Thursday 5 January 2012

Relating Things

So the other day I was talking to a friend of mine, and the conversation we had was pretty funny - to me at least. Since I don't know what else to write, I thought I'd paraphrase the dialogue for you.

Sherry (friend): Is it just me or has the weather been cold lately?
Me: It has been colder than usual, but then again you get cold easily so it could also just be you.
Sherry: But isn't it colder where you live?
Me: No, cause the sun is always hitting our house in the morning so our house is normally warm for the rest of the day.
Sherry: Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But when I was there, it was cold. Maybe it's because you live next to mountains...
Me: Mountains? What mountains?
Sherry: I meant desert...Have some imagination, Terry. :P

So, yeah, I thought it was funny that she got mixed up between mountains and deserts because they're so different. I mean, I know people get mixed up often and between weird things, but it got me thinking about how people relate things in their mind.

There are many things that I get mixed up between and I always tried to think of why that was so. When I was younger I always thought the 'table of contents' in a book was actually called the 'table of continents'. Don't ask me why I thought that, but that's just how I used to read it. Even today, there are times when I see the word 'contents' and think of 'continents'.

I guess a lot of the relations we make between words in our head were formed when we were kids. If you go to your grandma every week and she always bakes you cookies when you're young, there's a good chance that the word 'grandma' will always in your head relate to the word 'cookie'. Even if you're reading a book where the grandma is horrible and the opposite of your grandma, there's a chance that you'll still think of cookies subconsciously.

But that's a known thing I guess, I just find it fascinating. In general, I find the way our minds work fascinating, which is why I want to study psychology.

___

Book: Le Morte D'Arthur - page 505

(I'm going to finish that book today! :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment