Thursday 12 January 2012

Hide-And-Seek

We had some family friends come over today. They have two kids who are both under ten, so naturally, towards the end of the visit, we played hide-and-seek. I don't know why, but whenever my siblings and I are around kids between the ages of 5-10, we end up playing hide-and-seek.

I was just thinking yesterday about how good I was at hide-and-seek when I was a kid. And then I started to remember where I used to hide (I was at my grandparent's yesterday, and their house happened to be the setting for quite a few hide-and-seek games) and I realised that my hiding spots weren't that great at all. So, that made me wonder exactly why I was good at the game.

As I was playing today, I found the answer: I'm patient. Now, before I move on, I just want to say, that I'm not trying to sound superior to anyone or anything thing like that. It's just that, in some things, I'm patient and hide-and-seek is one of those things.Want to know how I know I'm patient? I know because I remember how I used to sit in hiding spots, as still as I could be, for long times. And that's why I was good at the game. 

Most of the time, when kids play hide-and-seek, if, after a while, no one finds them, they start to get bored and move around or start making noise. This is a completely natural reaction because who likes to sit still doing nothing in what is probably an uncomfortable place? Well, the answer is me. I always used to play this game by myself when I was younger and in a big crowd where I would see how long I could go without moving anything but my eyes, and maybe sometimes I would allow myself to move my neck. Please don't ask me how I thought this game was fun, because I have no clue.

Anyway, back to my point. My point is that hide-and-seek is not only about finding a good place to hide, but also about the ability to stay still and quiet in that place. 

So, that's all I got for today. I played hide-and-seek at the ripe age of 16. And I'll probably continue to play it until I'm 26, not because it's my favourite game or anything, but because I have young cousins and I'm sure they'll want to play it. 

____

Uhm, I may have not read much and I don't have the book next to me again...Oops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment