Sunday 6 May 2012

Ants!

Ants are a very simple yet complex species. After at least two years of having ants coexist with me in my room, I still don't understand them. I understand the tiny ones, the common ones, well enough. They're very simple: they go to the food. And then they make lines as they carry the food back home. But I'm not talking about those tiny ones.

The ants that I coexist with range from small to huge. And they don't seem to go where the food is. They just appear in random places. The most common place for them is my bathroom. Now what exactly could they want from my bathroom? And the way they act is weird too. Sometimes I see the medium sized ants just standing on their four back legs. It's really weird. I have no clue what they're doing.

And the best thing is that all these kinds of ants live together. If a big ant comes across a huge ant or whatnot, they don't do anything. They just pass each other with no signs of recognition. It's almost like they have a deal that as long as they don't get too much in each other's way, they'll coexist peacefully.

Another thing is if an ant meets another ant like itself. Then, sometimes they'd 'sniff' each other, but most of the time, they all seem to ignore each other.

 I bet you a person who knows all about ants would be rolling his or her eyes at me. But it's not my fault I've never studied ants thoroughly!

Anyway, ants are really fascinating and I'm glad I get to observe them so often!

No comments:

Post a Comment