Saturday 16 June 2012

Books And Family

Yesterday, I bought Christopher Hitchens' book 'Good is Not Great' on my kindle. So far it's really interesting, but I'm not going to talk about the contents of the book right now. I was reading it today when my aunt and grandma were at my house because reading is what I do when I'm around family.* My aunt saw me reading, but because I was reading from my Kindle, she couldn't see what book I was reading. So she asked me and I didn't know what to reply.

My aunt is what I would call very religious - or at least very religious compared to me. And, normally, I would love to get into a debate with her about religion, but today I didn't feel like it. So when she asked me I thought of three scenarios by which I could answer her: a) Tell her the title and face the consequences, b) remove the 'not' from the title and seem as if I was getting to be a little bit interested in religion, or c) make up a whole new title.

Because I didn't want to lie, b and c were out, leaving me with a, which I definitely didn't want to do. So instead I replied by saying, "I'm reading a book."

She laughed and said, "You don't say," but thankfully didn't press on the subject, which I was sure she was going to do.

I don't know what this says about me, but I thought it was a funny story, and, till now, I don't know how I got out of it.

______

*That's not true, but I do read a lot when around my family, but not ALL the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment