Tuesday 10 July 2012

Feeling Nostalgic

My parents, Christopher, and I went for a walk in our old neighborhood yesterday. It was really fun to walk to the same parks I used to walk in as a kid. The whole time, Christopher and I would point out things we remembered passing by on our bicycle rides to school and the parks we remembered playing in.  There were two things that really moved me, though.  The first was seeing my old house. We didn't really get a good look, but we saw the garden and I saw my old bedroom window. This will sound childish but the first thought that came to mind as I looked at my old house was 'I want the people living there to get out of my house!' I disliked everything they changed in the house and I found it unfair in a way that these people, whoever they are, were living in MY house. Anyway, it turned out that those people actually sold the house and are moving out in a few days. But it just felt weird I guess.  The second thing that moved me was going to see Patrick Kennedy's tree. Patrick Kennedy was a kid who went to my old school - way before I went - and who passed away from cancer at age 8, I think. So every year, the school holds an event to raise money for cancer research and the whole school walks to a tree next to Kennedy's house. Each class has a ribbon and a class representative would hang the ribbon on the tree in memory of Patrick.  When I went and saw it yesterday I saw all the ribbons, and I remembered walking there and hanging my class's ribbon on the tree. I remembered how Patrick's mum would come and talk about Patrick and the whole school event.  It was just in general a nostalgic walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment